Monday, May 27, 2013

Home Alone

So Victor just got back from a 10 day long business trip to China; he had to check out the facilities that his company was using to manufacture their products.  So he was in Shanghai from last Saturday through Thursday night and Friday morning he caught the first flight out of Shanghai to Beijing to visit and check up on a new facility his company is considering using as a contract manufacturer.  At the end of Friday he was able to look our old Pastor and his family and go hang out with them for the rest of the weekend.  When we Skyped Friday night the kids were hopping around in the background happy and super excited!  It's was so good to see little miss Sarah starting to become just as big of a chatterbox as her big sister!  Saturday morning Victor hung out with our old pastor and they walked around and saw all the touristy sites of Beijing; they saw the forbidden city, saw and endless number of street food vendors and they ate a variety of roasted scorpions.  You know the usual.

While Victor was gone, before his flight even took off Friday morning, I remade our bed so that I would be able to enjoy our entire Cal-King bed all by myself!  I re-arranged the pillows so that I was able to sleep smack dab in the middle of the bed!  I dropped him off at the airport at 4am and since we're so close to the airport I was able to come home and sleep for another 2 hours so before I had to get ready for work myself.  I must say it was quite luxurious!

The last time Victor was gone it was quite a traumatizing experience.  Our cat genie broke, both our cats vomited at least once during his absence and carrot cake peed on my throw blanket that was on my sofa!   Quite a close call the pee didn't end up on the sofa!  Close call.  And of course, lastly, there was a death in the family.  So it was not very fun last time.  This time I was determined to make the most of it and enjoy myself.

It's weird, in all my days I've never spent so much time alone than AFTER I got married.  I would never had thought that was going to be the case.  In college while living in the dorms I had 2 roommates my first year and 1 roommate my 2nd year.  By my 3rd and 4th years we were required to move out of the dorms into the off campus apartments and there I lived with at least 4 other girls at all times, even during the summer months.  We split a 2 bedroom two bathroom apartment.  One of the bedrooms was bigger so three girls fit in there.  In the summer the girls who were not taking summer school had found sublettors to take their spot.  After college I continued to live in the apartments out on the west side but because rent was so expensive and my job paid so little I continued to live with 3 other girls, besides having never really lived alone before it was nice to have the constant company.  Moving back home was never and option because quite frankly I think the commute would have killed me.  What normally is a 40 minute drive is a 1.5-2 hour drive during rush hour traffic.

So friday night, the friday that victor left, I treated myself my favorite activity.  I got a two item combo and rented a movie from the local redbox.  I don't really know why I like Panda Express so much but I do especially the chow mein.  That definitely set the tone for the rest of the week and I could tell it was going to be a great week!  The weekend flew by and by Sunday night as I was getting ready to go to bed a horrible thought occurred to me.

Recently a lady at our church woke up one morning and discovered that she had inexplicably gone completely blind!  To my horror I thought to myself what if that happened to me?  I wouldn't even be able to call anyone since I've only got a cellphone and both my cellphone and victor's cellphone were touch screens.  I wouldn't even be able operate the phone.  I know there's a voiced activated feature on my phone but I don't know how that works.  And even if we did have a house phone that I could dial by touch, I don't have anyone's phone numbers memorized because they're all saved in the address book on my cellphone.  Oh what pickle we put ourselves in thanks to technology.  You can't live without it this day and age but you can't really live with it either, you become dependent.

So Monday morning I promptly discussed the situation with my co-workers and we worked out a game plan  in the event that I mysteriously don't turn up to work while I was home alone.  You can't be too; careful look at all the crazy things that Macaulay Culkin faced!

With a game plan in place NEXT time Victor goes to China on business it will be even FUN-NER!

Scratch that next time he goes to China I'm going too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment